June 10, 2009

Psychology for Dummies

(or translated to American: "for pacifiers")

Yesterday evening Dennis and I found ourselves in a surreal situation. Sitting across from a psychologist propped up in an enormous leather wingback chair clipboard in hand. We scrambled for words to relay our desire to adopt and why we had chosen ‘fashionable’ Ethiopia as our country of choice. After a brief 15- 20 minutes we were asked to complete a 567 question psychometric test (MMPI-2) to ensure there were no underlying issues that needed to be addressed before proceeding any further. The questioning was interesting at times to the point of bizarre. After nearly two hours, hands cramping, necks aching, brains fried we finally put our pencils down.

This was the first of what will be several sessions of required 'parent preparation counseling' before they can sign us off as approved for adoption.

Today I have found myself ridiculously wondering what this computer scored test will ‘reveal’ about me. Our psychologist (I NEVER thought I’d be saying that) mentioned problems detected that include bipolar, psychopathic, and schizophrenia.

I will let you know the results and whether it would be wise to avoid us in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment